Monday, April 21, 2008

Isn't there something beautiful about that?

At home, we occasionally (notice I'm using an obvious understatement) enjoy a nice bottle of wine. Usually, we leave empty bottles of really good fuddle behind, kindly imported from France by my father. But since the amount of wonderful liquid fitting in a car (previously a truck) is quite limited, we still need to buy some in Sweden. As my budget is restrained, but mostly because I hate paying 15€ more than I usually do for the exact same bottle just because it's got a description in Swedish on it and a new levy, I tend to go for the cheaper bottles.



To the point: the other day, my lovely partner brought home a bottle of Australian Merlot, more specifically Lindemans Bin 40. Let me start out by getting my rant about the bottle etiquette out of the way... First of all, It's about as classy as baked beans on toast, and does that pregnant sign mean that all other wines are ok for women with child to drink? Anyway, at first it didn't taste, ahem..., especially well. It had more of a gasoline quality to it, but once we tried with food (grated- apple, beetroot and horseradish) it actually got good!


The change was so dramatic it led me to think about one of my favourite books: "Le Parfum" (Perfume), and how smells, and in this case taste, amazingly can be combined to form the most unexpected results. I once discovered that a fresh strawberry completely kills the taste of Gorgonzola and vice versa.... I try to cook with that experimental state of mind whenever I can, which is pretty much every time. You ever noticed how you can wing a great recipe, but never get it right again? Same thing goes for most things in life, you can never refabricate a party, a weekend, a vacation, a job interview or even a friendship, it can be good again, better even, but the same? No. Loss or gain, I won't force you to decide, but isn't there something beautiful about that?



You're welcome to click the pictures too see the full size ones, especially the horrible "McDonalds" etiquette from the Merlot.

2 comments:

Omar El M. said...

I have a confession: I have a great difficulty discerning the taste of wine. I can barely tell apart a nice wine from vinegar, and with a blindfold I wouldn't be able to tell red from white wines. I just buy whatever french red wine is within my budget and make pretend.

There's nothing beautiful about that!

Victor Marcel Mangematin said...

I'll put you to the test on that!